Joseph Charles Sink
December 20, 1938 - March 19, 2011
It has been awhile since our last blog entry and a lot has happened. On March 19th Jeff's Dad passed away. He had been very ill and was in the hospital so it was not a shock but at the same time we had no idea that this time was "the" time. Within 48 hours of finding out we had packed up and the four of us headed back to Philadelphia.
We are incredibly grateful that we got to see him in January, he was very sick but seemed to take such pleasure in watching the boys play. At the time we were surprised at how insistent he was that he come down and meet us in Florida, he was in no shape for traveling but warned Jeff's brother Keith that if he left Philadelphia without him, he would be in his wheelchair chasing him down I-95. Looking back, maybe he had a sense that this would be his last chance to see his Grandsons.
I had the pleasure of knowing Papa Joe for 5 years, from the first time we met we became fast friends. His wit made me laugh and he was always on his best behavior around me no matter how ill he was. I remember how much fun we had ganging up and teasing poor Jeff. One year Joe visited on my birthday and was very disappointed when he saw the card Jeff gave me, it was a Far Side card and though funny not the least bit romantic and Joe gave him hell for it :) He used to tease Jeff about being, let's say "frugal" and one year he sent us separate checks for our Christmas presents so I could spend mine anyway I wanted to and Jeff didn't have a say.
He was a gentleman, he always wanted to open doors for me, I remember having to walk painfully slow so he could beat me to the door but he always did. He was the only person I knew who liked soft pretzels as much as me and we had a blast going to the movies and watching Little Miss Sunshine, he thought that was the funniest movie he had seen in years.
The most defining memory I have of Joe is the first time he came to visit me and Jeff here in California. He became very ill on the trip so we didn't get out much. Jeff had a big project at work so it was just me and Joe a lot of the time. One day Joe was sitting at the dining table as I was bouncing around cleaning maybe getting dinner ready just doing all the little things women do around the house. I noticed he was just watching me silently, it went on for a very long time so finally I just looked up and smiled in sort of a "can I get you anything" gesture. He simply looked at me with incredibly sad eyes and said, "I miss my wife." My heart broke for him right then and there.
When we got the call about his passing on the 19th, the first thing that crossed my mind was, "oh no, he was alone" I hated the idea that we didn't know this was it and weren't there. That feeling quickly passed though when I remembered he wasn't alone, someone was waiting for him, someone he wanted to see more than anyone on this Earth and he no longer had to miss his wife. May we all love and be loved like that!
| Joe at our wedding in 2007 |
![]() |
| One of Jeff's favorite pictures of his parents. |
![]() |
| My favorite picture from Joe and Carol's wedding album. I so wish I could have known her. |


Very well said about a great Father to both of you.He will be remembered always as are my parents.Love you guys.Dad&Beth
ReplyDelete